My Stampin' Up! Classes

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WOYWW: A wise graduation owl card


I've seen several versions of this graduation owl online now, and figured since I needed a couple of cards for soon-to-be high school graduates, I'd try my hand at it. This card is for our friend's daughter, and the Rich Razzleberry and Daffodil Delight are her school colors (well, purple and gold).


This is what my desk looked like while creating the cards. I had pre-punched a bunch of pieces for my ladies at their Card Club Monday. I'm only showing you my desk because it's for Julia's weekly What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday (WOYWW) over at the Stamping Ground. This card uses four punches, an embossing folder for the Big Shot, two kinds of Rich Razzleberry ribbon, rhinestones (clear and black), and Newsprint dsp. I freehand cut the cap.


I don't get tired of looking at this cute little owl. It's been sponged around. I punched the feet out with the Owl Punch in More Mustard card stock, and used a punched Basic Gray oval scallop for the wings (cutting the top almost half off). I hand cut the beak, and added black gems for the eyes. The diploma is a 1" x 1-1/2" piece of your basic bond paper. It's adhered to the owl with a mini glue dot.

Hey! Before I forget, A La Card Monkey is nearing 300 Followers! I've provided some awesome blog candy.

Stamps: Teeny, Tiny Wishes;
Ink: Rich Razzleberry, Basic Gray;
Paper: Very Vanilla, Whisper White, More Mustard, Daffodil Delight, Rich Razzleberry, Basic Black, Basic Gray, Newsprint dsp;
Accessories: Word Window Punch, Modern Label Punch, Owl Punch, Oval Scallop Punch, Mini Glue Dots, dimensionals, basic rhinestones, sponge dauber, Square Lattice Embossing Folder, Big Shot, 5/8" Rich Razzleberry satin ribbon, 1/8" Rich Razzleberry taffeta.

14 comments:

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Darling card! I'm not much of a stamper but I have a great appreciation for those who are and can make beautiful cards with their skills. Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Ooh he's gorgeous!! I just recently bought myself the owl punch as it came out in our Mini catalogue in April here in the UK. I've been looking for ideas of what to do with it and this little fella is gorgeous!! Would you mind if I cased it and showed it off on my SU blog?? He's lovely and I know I've got one or two friends who would really appreciate receiving him in the post.

Tina said...

cute card...i love the owl

Tina

Sue from Oregon said...

Oh I just borrowed this punch so I will have to case it before I have to return it...thanks for the inspiration!

Elaine Harding said...

I love that owl too! You can dress him/her up any which way and its still CUTE personified! Love the grad outfit. TFS #4

Neet said...

Absolutely fabulous card - not seen the owl before but he sure is cute. Thanks for sharing. #9

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Hi there love this so cute card, I have just ordered the Sizzix Square Lattice folder which you have used - I like the way it looks like a woven mat and can see lots of uses for it.. and love the idea below of using re-inkers for deep intense colours like that, thanks for sharing, and popping over happy WOYWW!
Shaz in Oz.x

MvM-design said...

Cute card , neat desk!
Thanks for the sweet comment!
Hugs Marleen ;-)

Julia Dunnit said...

He looks great with a graduation cap ,makes for a great card. In fact, there are loads of hats/caps this wise boy could wear, huh!

Carola Bartz said...

A very appropriate and beautiful card for a graduation. I love owls and this one is a real cutie. Lovely work.

HeARTworks said...

What a cute owl- I like the touch of bookpaper too! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Sheila said...

How cute is that owl!

Pam said...

I don't get tired of looking at that cute little owl either! Woyww and WOW! Great post, great work and we are Julia fans. So glad you are too!

Morti said...

Fab card hun - thanks for stopping by my blog!